Strategies For Success
During the webinar, the panelists shared strategies and suggestions to support individuals living with Fragile X achieve success throughout the lifespan. Topics and strategies that were discussed during the webinar:
- Considerations to determine the most appropriate placement for each individual.
- How to work with the IEP team to develop appropriate and achievable individualized goals.
- The learning style of an individual with Fragile X syndrome and curriculum options that have been successfully implemented with the FX learning style in mind.
- Retaining and gaining skills through the lifespan.
- Advocating for success can take time! Collaboration and ongoing communication among all members of the IEP team is key.
Learn More About the Panelists
Marcia L. Braden, PhD, is a licensed psychologist with a clinical practice specializing in children and adolescents. She is a former teacher with experience teaching general and special education. Dr. Braden has presented at numerous conferences and workshops about Fragile X syndrome, autism, and other related disorders throughout the United States and around the world. She has worked with countless individuals living with Fragile X syndrome across the lifespan.
Tracy Murnan Stackhouse, MA, OTR is co-founder of the Developmental FX in Denver. She is a leading pediatric occupational therapist (OT) involved in clinical treatment, research, mentoring, and training regarding OT intervention for persons with neurodevelopmental disorders, especially Fragile X syndrome and autism.
Jeanine Coleman, PhD, is an associate professor at Regis University and serves as the director of the Global Inclusive College Certificate. She coordinates the Denver NIH Toolbox Research in collaboration with other institutions in California, Illinois, and Ohio.