National Fragile X Awareness Day — and Month!
2023 FRAGILE X AWARENESS DAY: Saturday, July 22, 2023
2023 FRAGILE X AWARENESS MONTH: July 2023
In July 2000 the 106th Congress designated July 22 as National Fragile X Awareness Day. We took that a step further and consider the month of July as Fragile X Awareness Month.
Here you’ll find information on all our awareness day (and month) activities each year in July, plus resources for raising awareness year-round, including:
Working alone, we couldn’t do all that we do for awareness, but working together we amplify our impact. We educate, research, advocate, support, and more. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for up-to-date news and events.
During National Fragile X Awareness Month it’s especially evident. Our combined voices amplify our messages far and wide. For the past few years during Awareness Month, our Facebook messages alone are seen one million times. One million! And that doesn’t include all of the posters, t-shirts, media stories, your social media and blog posts, visitors to our website, talking to neighbors, teachers, doctors, etc. The list — and the impact — go on and on. You should be proud of what you do!
And yet, people still ask, Fragile what? Sadly, that isn’t limited to your average person on the street. We still hear it from doctors, therapists, special educators, teachers, family members, researchers, and more. It is our job to answer:
- Educate doctors about Fragile X syndrome, FXPOI, FXTAS, and other premutation carrier issues.
- Help newly diagnosed families with information about Fragile X and what the future holds.
- Bring Fragile X families into the community network of support and education at the NFXF.
- Encourage researchers to research Fragile X.
- Motivate families to participate in Fragile X studies and trials.
- Advocate to Congress for research funding and policies that create better tomorrows.
- Make therapists and educators aware of the treatments and interventions available now.
- Tell extended family members what a diagnosis means.
- And, of course, tell friends, neighbors, friends-of-friends, random people on the street, and, well, everyone, about Fragile X and how they, individually, can best support individuals living with it.
We all do this every day, but July is a special month to have a concerted effort!