2022 FRAGILE X AWARENESS DAY: Friday, July 22, 2022
2022 FRAGILE X AWARENESS MONTH: July 2022
Working alone, we couldn’t do all that we do, but working together we amplify our impact. We educate, research, advocate, support, and more.
During National Fragile X Awareness Month it’s especially evident. Our combined voices amplify our messages far and wide. For the past few years during Awareness Month, our Facebook messages alone are seen one million times. One million! And that doesn’t include all of the posters, t-shirts, media stories, your social media and blog posts, visitors to our website, talking to neighbors, teachers, doctors, etc. The list — and the impact — go on and on. You should be proud of what you do!
And yet, people still ask, Fragile what? Sadly, that isn’t limited to your average person on the street. We still hear it from doctors, therapists, special educators, teachers, family members, researchers, and more. It is our job to answer:
- Educate doctors about Fragile X syndrome, FXPOI, FXTAS, and other premutation carrier issues.
- Help newly diagnosed families with information about Fragile X and what the future holds.
- Bring Fragile X families into the community network of support and education at the NFXF.
- Encourage researchers to research Fragile X.
- Motivate families to participate in Fragile X studies and trials.
- Advocate to Congress for research funding and policies that create better tomorrows.
- Make therapists and educators aware of the treatments and interventions available now.
- Tell extended family members what a diagnosis means.
- And, of course, tell friends, neighbors, friends-of-friends, random people on the street, and, well, everyone, about Fragile X and how they, individually, can best support individuals living with it.
We all do this every day, but July is a special month to have a concerted effort!
2021 Awareness Day
This year marks the 21st year of celebrating Fragile X Awareness every July in the U.S. , which began when Congress designated July 22, 2000, as National Fragile X Awareness Day.
Over the years, the reach of our awareness messages has grown exponentially as our community has expanded and parent groups around the world joined in their own efforts to raise awareness of Fragile X. This year is going to be even bigger and better!
We have long delivered awareness messages and programs the entire month of July, and we are once again looking forward to the Fragile X community rallying together to share about what Fragile X syndrome is, the challenges and joys, the value of saying hi to those who aren’t “typical,” and more.
We have exciting opportunities for you to join in on:
- Yard Signs: We’ve produced a selection of “July is Fragile X Awareness Month” yard signs that you can order online, and look amazing when you pair them with new green lighting, simply change out your porch or landscape lighting, or add some string lights.
- Xtraordinary Self-Advocates: Submit your own Xtraordinary person in your life, or post your own and share with us. This year we’re also sharing about individuals with Fragile X syndrome who are working — paid, volunteer, full-time, part-time, and more.
- Fragile X Facts: Sharing videos and facts each day on social media for you to share (each year these are seen more than 1 million times during the month — let’s go for 2 million!). Check out our social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Linkedin.
- Virtual X Strides: Our virtual X Strides run/walk takes place all of July with a closing ceremony July 31. You can participate no matter where you live in the world because Fragile X knows no boundaries.
- Awareness Downloads: Below you’ll find Fragile X Awareness Zoom Virtual Backgrounds (including instructions on how to use them) and a variety of Awareness Cards, including multiple versions for different family members.