Researchers at the UC Davis MIND Institute are examining changes in the brain and cognition associated with aging, in males with the fragile X premutation compared to those without. An important aspect of this work is to understand risk factors for and emergence of fragile X-associated tremor-ataxia syndrome (FXTAS).
Who can participate?
Males of any ethnic background who:
- Are older than 45 years old
- Are carriers of the Fragile X premutation and live in North America,
- Are not carriers of the Fragile X premutation and live in Northern California
What does the study involve?
- Two 2-day visits to the MIND Institute over 5 years
- Medical history exam
- Neuropsychological and neurological assessments
- MRI and blood draw
What else can be expected?
- Upon request, families will receive feedback about cognitive strengths and weaknesses
- You will receive compensation for your time and reimbursement of travel expenses to attend clinic visits
- You will receive a picture of your brain
- FXTAS symptoms and other clinical problems, if they emerge, are monitored and appropriate referrals are provided
About the MIND Institute
The UC Davis MIND Institute is a collaborative international research center, committee to the awareness, understanding, prevention, and care of neurodevelopmental disorders. All studies take place at:
2825 50th Street
Sacramento, California, 95817
Visit mindinstitute.ucdavis.edu or more information.