Dr. Craig Erickson answers questions about medications for Fragile X syndrome submitted by attendees for his latest NFXF Webinar. Questions answered/topics covered include:
- Please explain the use of metformin in treatment. Is it effective? How to handle stomach aches, loose stools?
- Is 10 mg fluoxetine an appropriate treatment for anxiety?
- Experience with Deplin.
- Is Madopar safe for carriers?
- What medications are available for 3-year-olds, if any, and what are the intended results?
- As a premutation carrier I am on several anxiety medications, Sertraline & Buspirone. Is this common in premutation carriers?
- What is the latest on – Arbaclofen? Metformin? Minocycline? CBD? Lovastatin?
- What trials are coming out this year?
- General description of treatments available today.
- Best medication(s) for: anxiety; social anxiety; aggression; depression; to help with focus; and, tremors
- What is the best ADHD medicine for adults with Fragile X?
- Are there medications to help with protein production that FXers lack, to help with memory?
- Is conscious sedation for dental work considered safe for FX people?
- Medications for adult FMFX. He has been on Prozac since 2010. That is all. I am wondering if he needs to change.
- What medications are there available for a 13yr old? How do you know what medications might help (e.g., for learning or for behavioral/mental health issues)?
- My 18-year-old daughter has been taking once a day Concerta 54 and Concerta 36 for many years. Is it too much?
- Which SSRI is least sedating? Our 37-year-old son is on Zoloft 50mg for anxiety, but he is sleepy all the time. workup for sleepiness is normal. Would Prozac or something else be better?
- My 35-year-old son lives in a group home. He is currently on 5 mg of Abilify and wants to increase it to 7.5 mg. He is already taking 30 mg of Paxil and 1mg of Klonopin at bedtime. He also takes Tegretol 100 mg 4 tablets in the am and 4 tablets in the pm. Along with 2 100 mg tablets at noon. I do not like the idea that he is on so many meds and would like them to decrease the Paxil before increasing the Abilify. Your thoughts.
- What medication controls aggression in adults with Fragile X Syndrome? My 23-year-old is currently taking Tenex and Buspar. His weight is around 275. I am at wit’s end with him because he does not travel well and gets aggressive in the vehicle.
Enter your name and email address below for instant access to the on-demand recording and the recording of his NFXF Webinar on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines for Fragile X.
About Dr. Craig Erickson
Dr. Erickson is a noted Fragile X expert and the medical director of the Fragile X clinic in Cincinnati, Ohio. He is a friend of the NFXF and joined us once again to share his knowledge on Fragile X and medical advice.
Dr. Erickson has worked to obtain continuous federal, foundation, internal, and industry funding supporting his and his collaborators’ research over the last 10+ years of his career. He is the inventor or co-inventor on many patents focused on translational treatment development in neurodevelopmental disorders that are held at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and at his previous employer the Indiana University School of Medicine. He is considered an international expert in the clinical treatment of fragile X syndrome and has similar expertise in fragile X-specific clinical trial development. Dr. Erickson is additionally an avid teacher of future generations of child psychiatrists and has received several teaching awards for his work.