We are interested in learning if a behavioral treatment called Parent- Implemented Language Intervention will support spoken language development in boys with Fragile X syndrome (FXS).
This study might be a good fit for you if:
- You are the mother of a 10-17 year old son with Fragile X syndrome.
- Your native language is English.
- Your son uses phrases of 2-3 words or longer.
If you decide to take part in the study:
- You and your son would need to come to the MIND Institute for 2 visits, approximately 3 months apart.
- You would need to complete some questionnaires and answer some questions about your son.
- Your son would need to complete some cognitive, language, and behavioral testing.
- You and your son may participate in 13 intervention sessions delivered by distance video-teleconferencing.
In this phase of the study, half of the families will go into a Treatment Group and half will go into a Wait List Group. If you are in the Wait List Group, we will follow your son for three months without treatment. You will then have the option of continuing into the next phase of the study, which will involve the spoken language intervention combined with a drug.
This study is directed by Drs. Randi Hagerman and Leonard Abbeduto and is approved by the UC Davis Medical Center
IRB (Protocol 520144)
For more information about the study, please contact:
The UC Davis MIND Institute is an international, multidisciplinary research organization committed to excellence and collaboration that is striving to develop better treatments and ultimately cures for neurodevelopmental disorders.
UC Davis MIND Institute
2825 50th Street
Sacramento, CA 95817