As I mentioned in the last Advocacy Update, there are several items before Congress right now (notably healthcare reform, Medicaid and SSI/SSDI) that could negatively impact families with Fragile X.
The NFXF sent a letter to key members of Congress today to raise awareness of Fragile X, address these issues, offer opportunities to dialogue and work towards solutions and establish stronger, longer term relationships.
You can help:
- You can send the NFXF letter to staff members you have an existing relationship with or deliver it personally to staff or a member of Congress at an upcoming town hall or other local event.
- You can send a more personal letter to your members of Congress. A draft, suggested letter is available here with instructions.
- Become a STAR Local Advocate and work year-round on these and other issues. Apply here.
There are several members of Congress who will be especially critical in influencing these legislative proposals. If you live in one of these states, we are especially interested in your help: AK, AR, CO, KY, MI, MN, NC, NV, OH, TN, UT, WI and WV.
While you are working hard, the NFXF is:
- Reaching out to key members of Congress, including the FX Caucus, with our message.
- Investing in some digital ads micro-targeted to Congressional healthcare staff members to raise awareness of Fragile X with influential policy makers.