A Practical Approach for the Classroom
This guide is intended for classroom teachers who may have little or no exposure to Fragile X syndrome (FXS). Our goal is to help make the teaching and learning environment from preschool through high school more effective, more efficient, and more rewarding for teachers and the student(s) with FXS who come under their care.
This guide provides practical information that includes:
- A background on Fragile X syndrome.
- Descriptions of behavior and learning styles.
- A discussion of educational and community resources.
- Sample lesson plans for children with FXS at a variety of developmental levels.
- Strategies to facilitate the inclusion of children with FXS.
Note: Special thanks to NFXF members Randy and Diane Dobslaw, and in honor of their son Brett, whose generosity enabled this publication. This guide also owes a profound debt of gratitude to Dr. Marcia Braden, whose original work, “Curriculum Guide for Individuals with Fragile X Syndrome,” is incorporated extensively throughout the guide.
Additional Resources for Teachers